Monday, November 28, 2011

Using Conditionals (NI2)

There are several ways of the conditionals in English. Here you have a diagram:
TYPE
MEANING
IF-CLAUSE
MAIN CLAUSE
Type 0
General truth; you can substitute if for when
Present
If you boil water
Present
it evaporates
Type 1
Possible condition; it is likely to happen
Present
If I have time
Future
I’ll go to the cinema
Type 2
Improbable condition; it is very hypothetical this could happen
Simple past
If I could buy a new car
Simple conditional
I’d take a van
Type 3
Impossible conditional; this is referred to the past and it is more connected with regrets
Past perfect
If I’d known you were coming
Perfect conditional
I would have made your favourite dish
Mixed
conditional
The condition is a regret but the results are in the present
Past perfect
If I’d thought about that twice
Simple conditional
I wouldn’t have so many problems
When we talk about using present or future, it means that they might be in the simple, continuous, perfect or perfect continuous form, depending on the message.
Other forms instead of if
connectors
meaning
example
should
It means if by any chance…
You must replace if for should
Should you see John, can you give him a message?
provided/providing
The same as if but a bit more formal
Provided you leave, you’ll catch the train
unless
The meaning is if … not
I won’t go to the doctor unless you come with me
on condition
This introduces a that-clause
On condition that we get the money, we’ll do it
as long as
It is the same as if
I don’t mind your coming as long as you keep quiet
Links for practising conditionals:
  • exercise 1: low intermediate; to start with
  • exercise 2: including some mixed conditionals
  • exercise 3: go to the video screen to play the game To Become a Billionaire; quite funny
  • exercise 4: another funny game
  • exercise 5 : higher level and there is a possibility of explanation in each sentence
· I hope you've got enough but remember there is more on the internet if you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment