Tuesday, January 10, 2017

That's English! - Module 5 - lesson 9: Invitations

Introduction

There are different ways to make suggestions and for inviting. And also for accepting or refusing these offers. Remember how to sound formal and informal and what subjets/topics are taboo.

FORMAL   STYLE
MAKING INVITATIONS
ACCEPTING
REFUSING
I wonder if you could.../if you’d like to...
I would like to invite you to ...
I was wondering if you’d like to...

I’d love to
I’d be delighted
Thank you. It's very kind of you for inviting me.
I’d love to but I have a commitment.
I’m terribly sorry but I’m busy
Thank you very much but I'm afraid I can't. I have another appointmen.
INFORMAL  STYLE
MAKING INVITATIONS
ACCEPTING
REFUSING
What are you doing on (day/date)?
Would you like/care to …?
How about …-ing? / What about ...-ing?
Do you want to ...with me?
I'd like to invite you to..
Do you fancy .....-ing
Let’s ...
Shall we ...?
Why don’t we ...?

Thanks! That sounds like fun.
Sure. Thank you for the invitation.
When is it?
Let's meet at …
Sounds great
Great idea!

No problem. Let’s go!
Why not?

No, thank you. I’m busy.
Sorry, but I have to. . .
Thanks, but I have another appointment at that time.
I can't. I'm sorry. Perhaps another time.
I’m afraid I can’t. Sorry.


Exercises
This is a page with useful information about inviting; click here
Here you are another list but this includes hesitation; click here
This is a BBC page with examples; click here
Here you are a video with an explanation; click here
As an example you have this video

Activity 1
Imagine you are in a party. Go around the class and invite people to do things with you. Arrange things such as time, where to meet, what to do after that, who is coming and so on. Some suggestions are:
  • Going to the cinema next Friday
  • Going away to Segovia next weekend
  • A concert of classical music in March
  • Coming to your place for a birthday party
  • Eating out at a new restaurant
  • Going for a drink after work
You’ll invite people but you’ll also be invited. Accept or refuse the invitations. Practice with formal and informal style.

Activity 2
You are going to show some photos to your mate and that person has to use expressions with the structures:
What + PLURAL NOUN! : What beautiful shoes you are wearing!
What (a)... + NOUN!   What a nice person she is!  What nice wine you've brought  
How...+ ADJECTIVE!  How hot it is in here!     
It’s / He's / She's such a ...+ NOUN!   It's such a nice place!  He's such a hard-working person!
It’s so...+ ADJECTIVE! It's so expensive!  or The watch is so expensive!

Activity 3
Imagine your partner is from another country. Try to explain typical things we usually do and they are very peculiar for other cultures: Touching people or kissing people, Talking about health, Serving food at the table, Speaking in public places or speaking loudly, Sharing a salad at the table, etc.

Activity 4
Here you are some videos about taboos and different ways of behavour all around the world. Let's see them and then compare it with our own culture.
  • 10 things which are offensive in other cultures: click here
  • Good etiquette in the world but not in America: click here
  • This is a video aobut British behaviour: click here
  • Good and bad manners click here
  • A bit difficult but funny video about differences between British and American: click here


No comments:

Post a Comment