Wednesday, March 3, 2021

B2 - Verbs followed by gerund or infinitive

This topic is quite important in English grammar but it's also very difficult for Spanish speakers. Let's work a little on this.

This is a good link with exercises to work on the topic and this one has explanations to start with, but pay attention to the level you need and/or want. Although you are in the intermediate level, I'd rather you use the basic level in the beginning to check you don't have any doubt, but, as you can see, you have many exercises to work with. Another good link is this one with different levels as well.

This is the video  from British Council to show you how the pattern verb works and this link is quite simple but it's a start to refresh the principal verbs followed by infinitive or gerund.

As a summary, you may use this diagramme:
  • VERBS followed by:
    • -ing form (gerund): verbs related to likes and dislikes, followed by preposition and with reference to past or previous actions; e.g.  I enjoy listening to music,   My father gave up smoking last year   or   She denied being guilty (compare it with the verb "to refuse")
    • infinitive : related to future actions
      • with TO:   I'd like/want to go with you   or   She refused to go there     
      • without TO (bare infinitive):   She made me laugh a lot  or  Let me tell you something
    • both (infinitive or gerund)
      • with a change in meaning:   
        • I always remember to buy some bread for my mother  (I never forget to buy some bread for my mother)
        • I remember buying some bread with my mother as a child (it's a memory)
      • without changing the meaning:   I began reading - I began to read
If you want to have a good review about this topic, go to Test English and then start with the exercises.

If you need more practice, try with these ones: exercise 1     exercise 2       exercise 3
This last exercise is a listening comprehension about your spare time; remember that most of the verbs related to likes and dislikes are followed by -ing: click here

Keep in mind the importance of the verb pattern when you use introductory verbs in Reported Speech:
  • Reporting verbs + -ing: go to this link
  • Reporting verbs + infinitive: go here

3 comments:

  1. Finally I have found something that helped me. Thank you. You have done a fantastic job. I’ll definitely share it and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this web site.Really a great addition. I have read this marvelous post on English Grammar. Thanks for sharing information about it . Thanks so lot for your convene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely exceptional. Even though variety of article on this topic, this article carries a number of the treasured points which had been never be read in other articles especially on 4 Types of Sentences . Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice article and perfect information. Check my link here on English Grammar.

    ReplyDelete