Tuesday, March 21, 2017

NI1 - Lesson 8: The use of the articles and countable/uncountable nouns

The use of the article we saw in class is simples as we explained it:
  • indefinite article: A car (singular): just one   ----   SOME cars (plural): a few cars
  • definite article: THE  car (singular): that specific car  ----  THE cars (plural): those cars
Apart from this general rule, we have to take into account some uses:
  • We use THE with :
    • places in plural: the Nederlands, the USA, the Arab Emirates, the Alps, the Canary Islands, the Himalayas, etc.
    • with specific countries: the Czech Republic, the United Kingdom
    • with rivers and seas/oceans: the River Thames; the Pacific Ocean
  • We DON'T use THE with certain places such as lakes, mounts: Mount Everest, Lake Victoria
About COUNTABLE and UNCOUNTABLE nouns we have to take into account that the uncountable nouns are always in singular: you say the sugar, some sugar but NOT 3 sugars. Have a look this chart which could help you to understand the problem about countable and uncountable nouns and how to use the quantifiers.
Here you are a chart to help you with quantifiers:

quantifiers
COUNTABLE* = plural
UNCOUNTABLE=singular
SOME Some people are worried I need some sugar
ANY (?) Did you see any books on the shelf? Did you need any sugar for the recipe?
ANY (-) I didn't take any photos I didn't have any time
NO I have no photos in my bedroom I have no time to miss
A FEW There will be a few friends for dinner XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
A LITTLE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I have a little time
MUCH XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX I don't have much time
MANY I don't have many friends XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
HOW MUCH XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX How much sugar do you need?
HOW MANY How many children do you have? XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
A LOT OF I have a lot of friends I have a lot of time
ENOUGH I have enough friends I don't have enough money

*When the countable noun is singular you use the indfinite article A+singular or the definite article THE+singular; e.g. a car the car.

Here you are some exercises to practise:  exercise 1 (done in class)     exercise 2 with a list of exercises about quantifiers and countable/uncountable nouns   exercise 3 another list of exercises
 If you are interested to know something about Canada, here you are some videos:

  • An introduction with photos: click here
  • Something about the country: click here

No comments:

Post a Comment