Wednesday, February 28, 2018

NI1 - Units 8B and 9A: 1st and 2nd type of conditionals

Although most of you have learnt conditional sentences as zero conditional, 1st, 2nd and 3rd type, I'd rather give them a "name" which helps them to be identified more easily:
  • general truth 
  • probable or possible conditional
  • improbable  or hypothetical conditional
  • impossible conditional
If you want a good explanation about all types of conditional you have this link, but we are going to work with the first 3 types:

TYPE MEANING IF-CLAUSE MAIN CLAUSE
TYPE 0 General truth; it always happens.
You can use WHEN instead of IF
Present
If you heat some ice
present
it melts
TYPE 1 Very probable. When the condition occurs, there will be a reaction. Present
If you have a problem,
future – present – imperative
I'll help you
the teacher can help you
call me, please
TYPE 2 Improbable but still possible to happen.
The possibility is more uncertain.
There is a special use with WERE
Past simple
If you had a problem


*If I were you
Simple conditional
I could help you
the teacher would help you

I wouldn't go out today

Here you are some exercises if you want to practise with this grammar point:
  • a link with all the types, but you can choose what you want to do: click here
  • another link with many exercises: click here
  • this is a useful presentation about the use of conditionals: click here
  • if you prefer a video, click here
  • if you like music, here you have a video with examples of songs which use conditionals
  • this video is with songs and grammar expalantions as well: click here
But the best way is to practise by speaking and using them in your daily life, especially some expressions such as:
  • If I were you, I wouldn't do it
  • What would you change if you could?
  • I'd love to do it if I could
  • If you need further information, please let me know
  • Don't worry; I'll do it (if I can)

No comments:

Post a Comment