Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Fighting against boredom

As we have to spend so long at home, let"s think of ways of entretainment with English. These are some suggestions to have fun and to avoid getting down.
  • Playing games with your children or with the others is a wonderful way of spending your time. Simple games such as "I spy with my little eye something beginning with..." or "Simon says 'Touch your ...(parts of the body)" are just some of them. 
  • More difficult ones are likely to make older children or grown-ups  get involved with games such as "If I were an animal/a colour/an instrument/a tool.... I'd be ... because ...." or making up stories with 2 or 3 words/things provided; e. g., words  like bed and window: "Yesterday I felt bored and I decided to redecorate my room so I moved my bed under the window in orden to have enough light to read; but I didn't realise the heater was under the window and when I started reading it was too hot for me so I moved the bed back" .
  • Doing exercise is crucial when you are indoor for so long but you could do it in English to practise. Find videos to work out with your family or partners; theses are just some examples: click here or this one
  • This is a perfect time for you to do things together, especially hobbies but this time in English, such as cooking  (go to this link, for instance) or drawing (this video shows you how to draw a puppy).  
  • Listening to music is also something that we really enjoy doing so why not do it together? Ask your children to look for the video with the lyrics of their English favoutite song con YouTube and learn it together. If you want to do some exercises with song, go to this link with different levels.
  • Talking on the phone is something usual at this time: although you could do this exercise with people you know, you might also chat with some other students from your class by using Hangouts or even just the speaker of WhatsApp. To do it more challenging, you may introduce someone in your family to your mates: your children, your brother or sister, or even your pet, why not? If you need an example, this video might help you.
These are just some suggestions to enjoy this time of "reclusion" at home. I'm sure you'll be able to find some other ways to have fun. If you send me an email with your own suggestions we could share it with others on this blog.

Take care!



No comments:

Post a Comment