Thursday, January 9, 2020

B2.1 - Unit 5: Present Perfect

I usually explain present perfect by comparison with past simple. This last one is related to an action with a clear referencence to the past (last month, 3 weeks ago, yesterday, when I was a child...), while the present perfect doesn't have that reference and you focus your attention on the result of the action, which is in the present (UP TO NOW):
  • I've lived in Alcalá since 1996 / for more than 30 years (UP TO NOW)
  • I started living in Alcalá in 1996 (/it's a memory so it's past tense)
Remember we've seen a very specific form of present perfect that we usually don't use in Spanish in the same way. Have a look to these examples:
  • Tengo este reloj desde pequeña  ------   I've had this watch since I was a girl
  • ¿Desde hace cuánto que llevas gafas?  ------    How long have you worn glasses?
It's important to take into account the keywords for using present perfect; a good summary is here. But if you want to see if you do it well, go to these exercises:
To work with this tense and the difference between present perfect and past simple, you may go to these exercises:

No comments:

Post a Comment