Monday, January 27, 2020

C1- Passive voice (unit 6B)

On this lesson there is a revision of passive voice but we should take into account some aspects:
  • Passive voice is much more frequent in English than in Spanish, as it is used when we have impersonal forms like I was given a pay rise or It's said that...
  • Sometimes we may use GET instead of BE as you can see:  I got promoted. It's more common in informal English or when the action implies a certain effort or difficulty.
  • Remember another way of passive voice in the structure To Have/Get Something Done as I had my blood tested.
  • Some verbs change when used in passive like I was made to pay the fine 
  • Another difference between Spanish and English is shown in sentences like You are supposed to be there on Monday.
  • Need+ -ing has a passive meaning: My house needs painting; go to this link and re-do this exercise we did in class.
If you want to review or know some more about this form, you may use these links:
  • This link is applied to business English but it works well: click here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment